Pages

Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Happy Spring Break!🌹

As I relax, regroup, and reorganize for this last month of school, I want to share some thoughts. My own child's academic life will soon be changing drastically as will yours. I've experienced public school, private school, and homeschooling my children as well as others. I have some suggestions that I hope you will take to heart.

Take advantage of being involved with your child's academics now while it is easy to do so. They are young and need guidance from all of us. It will be harder to do this in public school because the teachers will not be able to take a personal interest in every child and every family. It is a well documented fact that parent involvement is one of the key factors of a child's success in school as well as in life.

What do I mean?
1. Brainstorm with your student about ideas for their short story. We've read many in class. Help him/her recall the story lines in some of these.

2. Read over the Lord of the Flies or Fahrenheit 451 discussion questions and discuss. Better yet, read the book together. Look up and define unknown words.

3. Have him/her tell you about renewable resources and help find sources for their upcoming energy project.

4. If you are fairly solid in English grammar, have your student find a sentence and let him tell you about it. (Parts of speech, independent and dependent clauses, prepositional phrases, etc.) This will help with standardized testing.

5. Spend some time on Google classroom and help your student stay organized in order to complete assignments on time and to the best of his/her ability.

During this last month of school, I'm expecting students to use all their acquired skills and knowledge in their work - from writings and projects to classroom/field trip behavior. I'm looking forward to a strong finish of the 2018-2019 school year.

Mrs. J






No comments:

Post a Comment